I wascleaning up the area around my desk the other night and I came across a napkin on which I had scribbled down my New Years resolutions for ’07:
New Years’ Resolutions 2007:
So, it’s only fitting I make one for this year as well, scribbled in TextMate instead of on the back of a napkin this time. First, the carry-overs from last year:
- Get Website launched. OK, I guess I’ve waited too long by now. It’s just that every time I look back at my designs, I always find something I don’t like about it and end up creating a new design from scratch each time. I guess I still haven't learned yet…
- Lose weight. Should start going to the gym this week.
- Fix up portfolio pieces. Ties in with previous resolution.
- Go to Web Directions North. I don’t know if I’ll be able to make it this year unfortunately :(, seeing as I’m going to be really busy with other things during that time ( ), so I probably won’t be able to afford flying out to the left coast this February. This really saddens me as I really wanted to be a part of and meet the rest of the Canadian web design community (and I might enjoy the more intimate setting better than a huge event like SXSW), especially since I’ve got a couple friends in Vancouver, too.
- Go to SXSW. Everything’s bigger in Texas, they say, and conferences are no exception. My only exposure to SXSW is virtually through the podcasts they put out (I love when conferences do that!), and I’d love to go down to Austin and see and meet everyone in person (ideally, I’d want to go to every web conference out there in existence, but that’s not realistically possible for someone in my position.). Plus, it really is the ultimate geek gathering, with people coming in from all across the globe. Hopefully I'll be able to make it this year.
And now the rest:
- Get GTD system down and working. I’m really adamant about this one. I’ve always had a half-assed idea about what Getting Things Done was all about before Joey lent me his copy, but now I get the full picture. And with OmniFocus now, my productivity and organization has really improved!
- Launch MOLECULE. MOLECULE is a side-project of mine I’ve been working on. It’s an outdoor, publicly-projected mobile-enabled (semi-)massively-multiplayer game / “art” installation. I was hoping to have it ready for Nuit Blanche in the fall, but other priorities came up and I wasn’t able to complete it. I’m in the process of rewriting it in hopes that it’ll be ready for Nuit Blanche 2008.
- Become more socially active. I met Tom Williams of GiveMeaning a couple weeks ago (he’s a really amazing guy if you don’t already know him), and he sort of rekindled my spirit about this whole thing, so I think I’m going to try to become more involved with the Green Party again next year, which sort of (unintentionally) faded after I stopped working with them.
There’s probably more, but I can’t think of the rest right now, and besides, I really should be heading off to a NYE party pretty soon. Happy New Year!Technorati Tags: new years eve, resolutions, personal